Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gavin Henson targets lengthy Cardiff Blues stay

Gavin Henson hopes his Cardiff Blues debut on Friday at home to the Dragons will eventually lead to a new contract.


Gavin Henson targets lengthy Cardiff Blues stay



The 29-year-old is on a short-term deal until the end of the season.
Henson's Blues debut has been delayed by the broken wrist that ended his World Cup hopes, but hopes to impress after being picked at full-back.
"I'm incredibly grateful to the Blues for giving me a chance, it's kind of like a trial thing until the end of the season," Henson said.

"So I'll be going all-out all season now to try and get another contract with them.
"Everyone knows I've been a little bit injury-prone over the last four or five years, so I'm not much of a signing to anyone - so very grateful the Blues gave me a chance.
"It's up to me now to repay that and just try and get that long-term contract with them."
Henson joined the Blues in October, but has not played since he injured a wrist during Wales' August World Cup warm-up win over England.

"It has been a long time, to be honest, but it was a pretty bad injury," Henson added.
"Thank God I'm back on the field now on Friday night, at full-back, so it's nice to be starting and just see how things go.
"It was massively frustrating, especially just before the World Cup and missing out... that was quite hard to swallow.

"But the length of the injury then has been a little bit of a nightmare, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
"I just can't wait to get back on that field and get a run of games hopefully."

Henson has been selected at full-back against the Dragons, a position he has played for Wales despite winning the majority of 33 caps at centre.
But fly-half is the position that Henson has expressed his preference to play, although he says he is happy to be playing anywhere for the Blues providing it means he returns to action.
"I'm just glad to be starting; obviously not my preferred position, but nevermind. I'm just glad to be on the field and it'll be interesting to see how it goes," Henson said.

I've been training hard so hopefully I'm up to the standard and it could be an exciting night.
"With Leigh [Halfpenny] and Alex [Cuthbert] there they've been playing really well, so I'm going to enjoy playing alongside them and hopefully they'll help me out quite a bit because it's my first game for a while.
"It's an exciting backline and very hard to get into, but hopefully we'll have a good result now Friday.

There's loads of experience throughout the team, but especially the backline.
"Hopefully it'll be a good turn-out, it's my first time playing in the Cardiff City Stadium so can't wait for that and hopefully it'll be a nice Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment

;